Re: oil filter take-off / Fel-Pro head gaskets

To: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Subject: Re: oil filter take-off / Fel-Pro head gaskets
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 21:25:58 -0500
Cc: mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Mike-

In the past, I have used a Mocal sandwich type adapter on the metric oil
pump (Buick V6) to allow the use of a remote oil filter. The big
advantage of the sandwich type is that you can rotate it to direct the
hoses in any direction.

For the GT, I changed to a modified Chevy S-10 part from D & D
fabrications that bolts on the aforementioned metric pump. This adapter
allows rotation of the filter head & lets you use a small V-6 oil filter
as a direct spin-on, no remote head or hoses.
Glen Towery has a similiar part for sale.

My set of Fel-Pro gaskets include a sheet of installation tips wich
include the following:

Fiber faced gaskets are installed dry. Metal faced gaskets need spray
tack or equal on both metal faces.

"...following any directional markings on the gasket..." If no markings
exist, install the gasket by matching the gasket to the engine deck
surface.

When I examine the packaging, however, the label for the Permatorque
Blue Stripe gasket, pn 7984 PT, includes the following: "Use no sealer"
on a gasket that has 1 side metal faced, the other, a composite. The
label goes on to say, seals immediately, never needs retorquing...
There is no mention of which surface goes to the block. Absent any
better info, I would put the metal side to the smoothest surface.

Please post any better info you receive.

Jim Stuart