Re: I've got my flame proof jumpsuit on... (was: Re: Tire Sizes)

To: "Russell T. Neyhart" <vwruss@gte.net>
Subject: Re: I've got my flame proof jumpsuit on... (was: Re: Tire Sizes)
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 18:48:22 -0500
Cc: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>, Rick Huber <102221.1716@compuserve.com>, MGB V8 List <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
List--

To remind those of you who may have forgotten, the old Datsun
240/260/280Z wheels are the same bolt pattern & offset as an MGB. Also,
non-turbo 300Z wheels(the original 300 lump, not the new one) are 15",
same pattern & offset. An after market 300Z wheel is what I run on my
GT.

If you swap a wire wheel rear into your car, replace the splines with
the steel wheel rear hub, you gain about 3/4" more useable fender
clearance. This will allow you to use 14 x 7 rims, and up tp 205/60/14
tires. This is what I run on my roadster. TYou may have to space your
rear wheels out 1/4 to 3/8" to clear the inner fender.

In both cases, there are really no problems in the front, if you have
the smaller Quinton Hazel tie rod ends. I doubt if anyone still has the
larger, originals by now.

The only other problem is that if not trimmed, the cotter pin connecting
the parking brake clevis may scrape the inner rear wheel. A really scary
sound, by the way.

Hope the above is useful. When wheel shopping, ask for Datsun, lots of
choices. Ask for MG, & you usually get a blank stare.

Jim Stuart