Re: Tire Sizes

To: Rick Huber <102221.1716@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Tire Sizes
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 08:39:33 -0800
Cc: MGB V8 List <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Rick Huber wrote:

> Hi again list,
>
> Another question.  I'm planning to buy 195-60-15" tires on the 5.5" x 15"
> minilite wheels  that I've already bought.  I've heard that 195 width just
> barely fits without rubbing, and I can't think that the 60 height matters
> for rubbing - just will lower the car a smidge.  Am I thinking right ?

        Depending on the variety of Minilite ( or Minilite reproduction) you
might have a problem.  They all have different offsets.  If it brings
the tire "in", then you might have clearance problems w/ the sway bar at
full lock.  Admittedly, you aren't there much but it is something to
consider.
        You should remember that, in addition to lowereing the car slightly,
the 60 series tires are a bunch wider than the stock ones.  Your
problem, if any, will be at the top of the wheel wells, mostly at the
front.  Keep in mind, too, that the tires go up and down a bunch so if
it fits and looks good standing still, you might grind off a lot of
rubber in a turn at speed, especially on an uneven surface.
        Your best bet would be a sympathetic tire dealer who will take the time
to experiment a little.  The wheels usually cannot be returned once they
have had tires mounted so the tire guy is your best bet.  If you stay
away from the volume tire places and find a smaller place w/ a guy w/
grey hair, you will be better off.

Larry Dickstein
Kansas City, MO