Re: [Mg-t] [mg-tabc] Esoteric Minutiae

To: Clive Sherriff <clive.sherriff@ntlworld.com>, MG-T list <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] [mg-tabc] Esoteric Minutiae
From: "lawrie" <lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 14:05:58 -0800
Clive,

On the subject of over-restored cars in car shows, may I offer something I
heard back in the 1980s, when I was Chief Judge of the Santa Barbara Concours
d'Elegance (quite a prestigious show, in its day, attracting some fabulously
restored - and valuable - cars). Phil Hill was an Honorary judge and we spent
some time together, discussing all sorts of things.

On the subject of "over-restoration" resulting in cars that were much nicer
than those that left the factory, he had this to say: If the factory was going
to send a car to, for example, the Earls Court Motor Show, is it not reasonable
to assume that that particular car would have received the ultimate in
preparation? Everything usually painted would be painted to perfection. All the
brightwork would be immaculate, including copper pipes, etc., not usually
polished to the nth degree. The interior would have been installed with extra
care and attention to detail, etc. etc.

Phil, who at that time co-owned one of Los Angeles' leading top-quality (and
top dollar!) restoration shops, used this argument to justify "perfect,
original" restorations. He did, however, emphasize that this "show" preparation
would not have included chroming things that, on production cars, were not
chromed, and so on. Essentially, a factory "show car" was a production car
built to the highest possible standard.

In my many years as a concours judge, I found this to be an excellent rule to
go by.

Cheers,

Lawrie

Mg-t@autox.team.net