Re: [Mg-t] Old lessons learnt

To: "Geoff Rawlings" <geoff.rawlings@gmail.com> engine=2.50.10432:5.10.8794,1.0.431,0.0.0000 definitions=2013-08-28_01:2013-08-28,2013-08-27,1970-01-01 signatures=0 spamscore=0 suspectscore=8 phishscore=0 adultscore=0 bulkscore=0 classifier=spam adjust=0 reason=mlx scancount=1 engine=7.0.1-1305240000 definitions=main-1308270233
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Old lessons learnt
From: "Dave & Liz DuBois" <ddubois@net-nw.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 22:31:40 -0700
Cc: mg-tabc@egroups.com, mg-t@autox.team.net
Capacitors (condensers) usually fail shortly after installing them.  If the
survive the first few hours, they normally last nearly forever.  I was told by
a wise older car enthusiast that when replacing points, to look at the points
and if there is no (or very little) material transfer from one contact to the
other, the existing capacitor is matched very closely to the system in which it
is installed (capacitors for autos generally have a tolerance of 20%, meaning
that it can be 20% under or over stated value) and should not be changed.  I
have lived with that admonition and never changed the capacitor in our TD since
we purchased it in 1974.

Cheers,
Dave