[Mg-t] Gearbox 'remote control'

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: [Mg-t] Gearbox 'remote control'
From: Rick Lindsay <richardolindsay@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 09:17:05 -0400
Hello Friends,

I have never rebuilt a gearbox, nor have I ever even opened one. I have flushed
them with clean oil and refilled them, but cracking them open is scary.

Today I realize that I should remove, clean, lubricate and reinstall the TD's
gearbox 'remote control'. I have read the workshop manual, and have studied the
manual's exploded diagrams, and I thought I understood the removal procedure.
Hummm.

My TD is a very late '53 model and the manual says to simply remove the four
bolts securing the remote control to the gearbox and lift the assembly away,
then cover the open wound in the gearbox with a cardboard cover. Simple, eh?
And being a late car, there is no risk of pesky ball falling down into the
gearbox entrails. B

So with the gearbox in neutral, I followed the manual's procedure. However, the
remote control's business end appears to be attached within the gearbox! What's
up with that? Is it that the ball-end of the selector is stuck in a receptor
requiring a little 'pull' to free it, or is there a paragraph missing from the
manual, or am I just doing something wrong? Expiring minds want to know.B

All advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

-rick, in Houston
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII - the rectangle with rounded corners, just
like a BlackBerry.

Mg-t@autox.team.net
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive