Re: [Mg-t] [Bulk] TF "Generator" Light

To: "gunnellj tds.net" <gunnellj@tds.net>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] [Bulk] TF "Generator" Light
From: <anngene@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 16:11:36 -0500
John wrote:
" Since installing a rebuilt generator (uh, dynamo) on my MG TF 1250
recently, the red light on the dashboard has been staying on longer than
usual.
Tonight I moved the car into my building and let it idle for a length of
time that would be equal to driving it a mile and a half. The light came on
and did not go out. I then revved the engine to higher rpms. Once I got up
to 2500 rpm or so, the light immediately went out. I re-started and the same
thing happened -- the light lit until I hit 2500 rpm."

John,

I doubt seriously it's your generator(s).  It's more than likely your
voltage regulator...an easy way to check would be to swap out the TF
generator with the TD one...if it's your voltage regulator it would give the
same symptom with either generator.

I highly recommend you have your voltage regulator modernized.   Bob Jeffers
(cc'd above) at http://wiltonae.com/home/index.aspx will take your existing
regulator, gut it, install a transistorized circuit card, adjust it to the
correct generator output and you'll never have to worry about it again.
Best of all with the cover on the regulator  looks stock and it won't cost
but a fraction of the $200 you've got in each generator.  I had mine done
and I'm very pleased with it
(http://wiltonae.com/articles_reviews/article_GettingAChargeOutOfIt/index.aspx),

Best regards,
Gene Gillam