Re: [Mg-t] trouble starting

To: "MG-T" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] trouble starting
From: "rgmorse" <rgmorse@mzaconsulting.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 21:18:04 -0700
Hi Oliver,
I have exactly the same problem when driving on a hot sunny day.  This
was diagnosed as fuel evaporating from the carburetor float bowl that is
conveniently located directly above the exhaust manifold.  The manifold
heats up the float bowl and more or less boils away the gas.  Once you
start going again you have to get enough fresh gas through the float
bowl to cool it enough to stop the boiling.  That is why it stutters and
runs poorly for a while.

When I start the car after parking it the first thing I do is to let the
fuel pump run until it stops ticking.  This refills the empty float
bowl.  Usually this lets me get the car started, especially if I pull
the choke out.  The problem is that the car is running lean because of
the gas boiling, so pulling the choke out helps.  I also find it is
necessary to run at well above idle, like in the range of 2000 rpm until
things settle down.  I run the car with no load, sit and let it run,
until it is running normally, with the choke back in, and at normal
idle, as I worry that running it while it is stuttering because of
running lean could damage the engine if it is under load.

This works for me when it is sunny and in the mid to upper 80's, but
then again I am in upstate NY and not in the heat of Texas.

I am hoping that the ultimate solution will be a heat shield that Brown
and Gammons sells that protects the float bowl from the heat of the
manifold.  It is their part number GAC1036 "Heatshield TC, TD, TF".  I
got one, but have not gotten around to putting it in yet.

Hope this all helps
Roger in Poestenkill, NY

Roger G. Morse AIA
Morse Zehnter Associates