Re: [Mg-t] Two Problems

To: gunnellj@athenet.net
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Two Problems
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 06:55:34 -0400
John,
   Sorry to read of the troubles.
   I don't have experience with the rack troubles you experienced. Sorry,
no thoughts to offer.  Check diameters of the large end of MGB and TD
boots(gaiters). I think they are different.   May 2004 replaced gaiters
on my TD. May 2004 replaced gaiters on my TD.  Four years....
   At one of our CT Club tech sessions we found several SUs that were
stuck in various ways, thought to be from water/alcohol in the fuel.  The
jets were binding in jet glands of a couple of TDs, MGAs and MGBs,
causing the jets to stick down when choke cable was released.  On
another, the throttle shafts of both carbs were sticking. Owners said
they worked find when cars were put away in the autumn.  The brass bits
were mottled in color, as if water had been in contact with the brass.
It's easy to understand how that could be the case with the jets, less so
to see how it would affect the throttles though.
   Check that the pistons drop to the bridge with a click.
Bob

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 17:24:34 -0500 "John A. Gunnell"
<gunnellj@athenet.net> writes:
> All
>
> This was a bad week. I "broke" two T Series. Need some feedback on
> problems
> and solutions.
>
> Drove MG TF about 500 mileson two trips. Last trip was 160 miles.
> Everything
> OK. Stopped for lunch. Took off after lunch and steering had
> tightened up
> tremendously. Could just about steer home. Took tie rod ends off.
> Problem is
> in the rack. Bouth boots (gaitors) were not very old but both were
> torn. I
> have since been told that boots being sold now are too short. Better
> to use
> longer MGB boots with MG T clamps. So what is the quality of rack
> rebuilding
> parts being sold today? Does anyone have experience? And would you
> just buy
> all new parts or would you tear down, inspect, replace bad parts and
> keep as
> many good old parts as possible?
>
> Problem 2. With TF down, we took the well-worn TD out of mothballs
> and drove
> it 20 miles to a club gathering. On way back (alone) we stopped to
> top off the
> tank with high test (no ethonol). As soon as we left the filling
> station, the
> engine started racing at 2,500 + rpm by itself. We worked it into
> gear and
> limped home the 20 miles at 30 mph or better without ever touching
> the
> accelerator. The choke cable and carb linkage all seemed to be OK in
> roadside check. If I start car now, it will immediately race at 2500
> + rpm.
> Anyone have a similar experience? Any idea of cause or how to
> repair.
>
> John Gunnell
> PO Box 87
> Iola, WI 54945
> 715-445-4262
> gunnellj@athenet.net
>
> Archives at http://www.team.net/archive

Sweepstakes!!!
Enter for your chance to WIN one of hundreds of daily prizes.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/JKFkuJi7UnnYH8okO4sAOac7q7nPrP51Tq6EoMg9ZaujPXbGkLTZw4/