Re: [Mg-t] Electric coolers

To: mgcharlie@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Electric coolers
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 15:27:10 -0400
Charlie,
  Thanks. That's a neat cooler.
  Do I recall dimly from highschool physics that the device that heats /
cools depending on polarity of power is a Peltier or Pelletier junction?
Bob

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:25:38 -0400 Charlie Baldwin
<mgcharlie@comcast.net> writes:
> Bob,
> Another nice thing about the electric cooler is that when you get to
> hotel, there is an adapter that you can use to plug it into the wall
>
> socket.  I haven't gotten any complaints from hotels.  Perhaps they
> like
> that better than everyone raiding the ice machines to fill their
> coolers.
> I think I got it at K mart several years ago.  At the time it was a
>
> closeout special.  I may need to look for another as it doesn't seem
> cool as well as it did when new.  If things aren't cold already, it
>
> can't seem to keep up.
> It fits quite nicely in the "luggage compartment".  Exterior size is
>
> similar to a Coleman Oscar.
> I just run the lead under the seat back at the tunnel and along the
>
> tunnel to the dash.  My cigarette lighter socket has lugs that take
> wood
> screws to screw it to the back side of the dash.
>
> Charlie
> PS
> I just did a search.  Check out http://tinyurl.com/5kfp29
> I know I didn't pay nearly that much though.  It looks a lot like
> it,
> though maybe not exactly the same.
> PPS  Here is the brand that I have: http://tinyurl.com/yum2fn
> A bit cheaper and cools better.
>
> Bob Howard wrote:
> Charlie,
>   I agree about the neg earth, and changed my TD years ago.
>   The problem with using the dash plug is accidentally putting it
> in
> "wrong" so that anything grounded to car chassis gets zapped if
> there is
> any grounding through its antenna. If one isolates the antenna or
> uses
> magnetic base, the CB is unaffected.   I've read in several places
> that
> the spark plugs do fire better with
> pos earth, but everyone agrees that if it's better it is so little
> better
> as to almost be past measuring.  As long as the coil is wired
> correctly,
> they get full sparking power and everything works fine.  Originally
> our
> coils had CB and something else marked on them instead of + and -,
> possibly a tacit admission that the entire world was moving away
> from pos
> earth.   If Hal Kramer installs a diode & transistor package in the
> clock (
> reduces arcing on the points) he wants to know polarity.   I like
> your
> idea of the electric cooler---have not seen one small
> enough to work in the TD's space.  Now I will have to go looking for
> one.
> Bob

Sweepstakes!!!
Enter for your chance to WIN  a summer spa getaway!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/JKFkuJi7UjkkwH2aj9dcaMO3dytpFQdZ5hjDYVRQtiowa9iSWyskTq/