Re: Mystery Pin

To: Nels Anderson <nels@flightsim.com>, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mystery Pin
From: Carl French <leylandauto@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 14:38:51 -0700 (PDT)
I am a mostly B series person but it is the same for us. The cotter pin was put
into an intentional drain hole to keep it from getting plugged up with gunk.
You are seeing leaking oil from the rear main seal. Usually not a bad thing
requiring big work. Correct me if I am wrong but were not the XPAG engines
given a rear main seal made mostly of rope?

  Think of it as a self rustproofing system.

  Carl French

Nels Anderson <nels@flightsim.com> wrote:
  I'm trying to track down a leak on my 1953 MG TD and it appears that
it's coming from something that I cannot identify. The spot is right at
the back of the engine, in front of the clutch housing, in a spot that
most of the diagrams don't seem to show. I finally found what I think is
the part on the diagram of the MG TF engine (the similar diagram for the
MG TD engine does not show it).

Please take a look at the picture here:

http://www.train-sim.com/mgtd/mystery-pin.jpg

The red arrow is pointing towards the pin I'm interested in. Can anyone
tell me what this is? Thanks for the help.