Re: TD charging problems

To: Charlie Baldwin <mgcharlie@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: TD charging problems
From: Dave and Liz DuBois <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:38:08 -0700
Charlie,

I suspect that the Volvo generator is not compatible with the TD's
regulator.  I would suggest that you contact Bob Jeffers at
bobj20@comcast.net for more information.  Bob makes solid state
regulators for our cars to match whatever generator is being used, and
he can tell you for sure whether the generator and regulator ore
compatible.  As for testing the generator in place, disconnect the wires
from the D+ and the DF terminals.  Jumper the two terminals together and
hook the positive lead of an analog multimeter to the jumpered terminals
and the negative lead of the multimeter to ground.   Set the multimeter
to read 25 volts, start the engine and slowly increase the revs while
watching the multimeter.  The voltage should rise with the rpm - be
careful to limit the RPMs so the voltage doesn't exceed 20 volts as it
will rise very rapidly beyond that point and can damage the generator if
allowed to do so (this test is feeding the output voltage directly back
to the field coils without any regulation so the output voltage will
continue to rise with RPM until the generator burns itself out).  If the
voltage will rise to 20 volts, the generator is good.  If it doesn't
rise to 20 volts it is bad (even if the voltage will rise to 12 volts,
but not beyond, the generator is bad).

Cheers,
Dave