Re: Sorting out the Varitone

To: Lew Palmer <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>
Subject: Re: Sorting out the Varitone
From: Charlie Baldwin <ewsinc@suscom.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 09:00:20 -0400
John and Lew,
That's what I was thinking also.  Though there information may not be
correct.
I have dealt with British Wiring a few times and was quite disappointed
with them the first time when I bought a fuel injection harness for my
1970 Volvo 1800E.  There were several details wrong including that it
was missing the big grommet where it goes through the firewall.  To
reuse my old grommet meant removing 20 wires from the connector that
plugs into the brain and then putting them all back in.  The original
harness used all white wires with little numbers printed on it at each
end of each wire to identify the wire.  The new harness had all white
wires without the identifying numbers, making the removal of 20 wires
all the same color and getting them all back where they belong a real
PITA.  I informed them of these and several other problems, and they
seemed not to care in the least, not even to find out where they went
wrong to fix it in the future.  They claimed that thay built it the way
their sample was built which must have been a cobbled up mess.  I had
two original harnesses, both made the same way, but they insisted that
theirs was correct.
The point is that since you are buying a somewhat uncommon harness
expect there to be problems with it and that you may be on your own to
fix them.
That said, I have bought wire and wiring sundries from them since
(though not a full harness) and was quite pleased with the product and
the way I was treated.
John, glad to hear you figured out it was really a ZB.  You seemed
pretty sure previously that it was a ZA, what changed your mind?
Charlie