Startup Problem

To: "MG T List" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Startup Problem
From: "Bill Snyder" <wtsnyder@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 19:23:14 -0500
Thanks to all who sent suggestions about my startup and electrical
problems on my '53 TD. After getting back from out of town today and
thinking about it for the past 3 days, I was happy to find three
problems that can be remedied. First was a loose connection of the brown
wires on one side of the ammeter, which by appearance looked to be in
place, but on closer inspection were not making good contact. After
proper reconnection, the ignition light stays on nice and bright with
the ignition key "on" and the ammeter reads properly.  The second
problem is that the starter will not actuate when power is applied.
Fortunately, I have a good rebuild shop in town and the old guy actually
likes working on Lucas gear! Thirdly, my fuel pump will not work. It is
not an SU but a Harting, which looks very much like an SU externally.
Has anyone ever had any experience with rebuilds on these creatures? If
so, I would like to hear your input. The diaphragm appears good and the
points look clean, but the pump only hums when powered.

Thanks again to the list for past and future help.

Bill Snyder
Waynesville, NC
'53 TD gettin' closer!