fuel line routing

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: fuel line routing
From: "Douglas Ormrod" <Douglas.Ormrod@neurological.org.nz>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 11:01:15 +1200
Giday T listers

You may be detecting a pattern here - I spend the weekend trying to put the TD
back together and then come to the list with my weekly problem - this week it
is the fuel line.

I bought a Moss fuel line with the nuts and little brass flares already in
place. Problem is that I can't get it to pass between the pedal box and chassis
rail (RHD drive car).  Tried from both ends and it is just too narrow for the
nut at the rear of the pedal box just in front of the master cylinder bracket -
about 1/16" too narrow. Any one else had this problem? I remember I had to cut
the original fuel line in 2 to get it out.

So plan B was to remove the brass flare and re solder it with silver solder
after passing it behind the box - problem is these are brazed on and my propane
torch is not hot enough to get them off - even if I had oxy I think there would
be a high risk of destroying the thing. Brazing copper to brass must be quite a
skill!

Plan C was to cut off the end (=" should not make much difference) and fit a
new flare after routing the pipe - but it seems Moss do not sell these
separately and I am told they are unobtainable in NZ. Anyone know of a supplier?

Plan D was to see if I could remove the flares from the old fuel line - but
these are moulded into the copper rather than separate brass fittings. So no
joy there.

Plan E is to cut off the brass flare and drill it out to the OD of the pipe and
refit it - not sure how feasible that is.

Plan F  - file down two of the flats on the nut till it passes through - but
this would weaken it.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Douglas