Brass Carb Pistons

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brass Carb Pistons
From: John Gunnell <gunnellj@krause.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:44:49 -0500
Partial answer to carb question from John Twist @ University Motors

The brass pistons were used first, but I am not certain if they were
used throughout the H2 TD production -- I think not.  The air piston has to
have a certain weight.  That weight can be achieved simply through mass (the
brass piston) or through mass plus the force of a spring (aluminium piston
and spring).  The effect is the same.  However, since consistency is
CRITICAL in engine tuning, I would, too, match the pistons.  The movement to
the aluminium pistons was made because they are less expensive to produce.

        All the TDs had the knurled tops on the dampers.  By the TF, I
believe, the tops were changed to the  hex 1/2" BSF size.

        Hope this helps a little.