Re: TD pedal shaft and bushings

To: bobmgtd@insightbb.com
Subject: Re: TD pedal shaft and bushings
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:30:52 -0300
Bob,
   It's probably just bushings that are in need of replacement.   The
grease fitting under the fender is important to long life of pedal
bushings, but it's often overlooked as it's not shown in the handbooks or
on most lubrication charts.
   If pedal bushing only, it's just a matter of dislodging many years of
solidified grease and asphalt, undoing a clamp bolt or two, sliding a
shaft around to allow slipping off the brake pedal, re-bushing, then
reversing the procedure.
   Sounds simple enough, but it's one of those jobs in which you wonder
why you ever ever undertook them--how could something so simple be such a
task!   Give yourself a full day for this.  Remove the steering wheel;
allow plenty of space around the car for your aching body to twist and
turn in the darkness of the footwell; have plenty of lights (fluorescent
are best since they won't burn you).
    Remove pedal pads, the rubber pedal bellows, etc, then poke around in
the hole to reveal the clamp bolts.  Remove the circlip at the grease
fitting.  When clamp bolt is removed, not merely loose, you can push the
brake pedal aside a bit and work at dislodging the key that joins clutch
pedal to the shaft. That done, the shaft can slide.  At this point try to
ascertain if it's just the pedal bushing that's worn or both pedal
bushing and shaft bushings.  If it's just  pedal bushing you are in luck,
as the shaft bushings are perpindicular to chassis centerline, but the
chassis rail is not parallel, so you have to press in the bushing at an
angle to the chassis rail, which I did not find at all easy to do.
   I'm sure I saw illustrations of this area in a book somewhere, but I
can't think now of where it was printed. Best source I could find today
was Moss catalogue. The Service Parts List shows brake and clutch pedals
independent, and bushed, fitting onto the shaft, but that's for the home
market cars.  The LHD cars have the clutch pedal keyed onto the shaft so
that the clutch pedal turns the shaft, while the brake pedal only turns
on the shaft.
   While the pedals are out of the car you will have opportunity to fill
and re-drill the holes and to replace clevis pins, another step to remove
slack that has develoed over the years.
Bob