Re: Temperature

To: gunnellj@krause.com
Subject: Re: Temperature
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 16:31:23 -0400
Hi John,
   In one of the handbooks, MG said 80-90C was OK.  Worry about
overheating at 95, though you may never see the temp that high. The TD
radiator is immense for the size of the engine.  You might want to check
the gauge, just to be sure it tells the truth, but that is so easy since
the TD's sending unit is right at the top of the radiator and I'm sure
you have an oven thermometer in a kitchen drawer.
   The engine cleaning machine is a new one for me.  MG did say that TD
heads should be de-coked at 10M miles.  We did this on our TD for the
first time at 25M, and found that we wasted not only time but a head
gasket. There was no carbon at all on anything, though, admittedly, that
was when Amoco was the only unleaded around.   When I had the head off
again, at 75M, there wasn't enough carbon to do anything but lightly coat
the metal, perhaps the thickness of a coat of paint.
   As to the stalling after the cleaning, I think your theories are good.
 Whatever carbon might have been in the cylinders got blown out the
exhaust within a couple of minutes.  There might have been sediment in a
carb float bowl that was loosened and worked its way to a jet.  The jets
are .090, so don't clog easily. That's easy enough to check-remove the
bolt on top of a float bowl, lift off the top and take a look.  You might
see sediment, or a white coating of something if there had been water in
the bowl.
   And you might just check on the other side of the engine to see if
coincidentally a wire has worked loose on coil or distributor.
Bob