protecting rubber

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: protecting rubber
From: Mike Duvall <duvallcom@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 10:32:15 -0600
If my memory of history serves me correctly they were still using real
rubber in WWII until the widespread use of neoprene.  Neoprene actually
resists petroleum.  There are a number of modern synthetics    "GR-S"
(Government Rubber Styrene)  from a category called Buna-rubbers,
which is still used for tires. Butyl rubber is another type which was
used for inner tubes.

They are all polymers which basically means chemists break down
petroleum into chemical pieces called monomers. They are then
reconstructed into different materials.  I think latex iscalled nitrile
rubber.   Everything around us are forms of polymers from car paint to
computer cases.  Each has different characteristics depending on their
design.  We just tend to lump them into categories called rubber,
plastic, vinyl and foam.

I think, if you really want to protect your "rubber" parts get a high
quality product like Vinylex.