Illinois Legislative Alert

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, mgtseriesowners@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: Illinois Legislative Alert
From: Mike Duvall <duvallcom@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:15:52 -0600
There have been some discussions floating around about insurance. I
switched to Hagerty and one of the things I like is that they represent
car enthusiasts to legislatures.

If you live in Illinois, I would encourage you to read this information
from Hagerty's web site and contact your state rep.

Illinois Reintroduces Bill to Further Restrict Inoperable Collector
Vehicles

        A bill (H.B. 25) has been reintroduced in Illinois by State
Representative Dan Brady (dan@rep-danbrady.com) that would further
restrict the ability of Illinois vehicle hobbyists from maintaining
inoperable vehicles on private property.  The bill removes historic
vehicles over 25-years of age from a list of vehicles exempt from
county inoperable vehicle ordinances if they are not kept within a
building.  Under current law, a county board may declare all inoperable
vehicles a nuisance and order their disposal.  This bill, if enacted,
would subject your ungaraged historic hobby cars to disposal and
possible fines.

We Urge You to Contact Your State Legislators Immediately To Request
Their Opposition to H.B. 25
               H.B. 25 would give local authorities an inordinate amount of
power
in determining the disposition of historic project cars.
                H.B. 25 would make it virtually impossible for Illinois
hobbyists
to maintain inoperable collector vehicles on private property.
                H.B. 25 demonstrates a lack of understanding of the vehicle
hobby
and the rights of hobbyists.

  Contact your State Legislators in Springfield immediately by phone,
fax or e-mail in opposition to H.B. 25.  Bill sponsor Rep. Dan Brady
can be reached at dan@rep-danbrady.com.  This bill tramples unfairly on
the rights of vehicle enthusiasts and collectors in Illinois.

If you need assistance in determining who your legislators are and
their contact information, please contact the Illinois Legislatures
General Information Line at 217/782-2000.     This information may also
be found on the Hagerty Protection Network website, Advocacy
Avenue/Contact Your Legislator at
http://www.hagerty.com/news_advocacy.asp?z=contact.

Please e-mail a copy of your letters to us at smcmanus@hagerty.com or
fax:  231-932-6887.
Thank you for your commitment to the long term future of collector cars
and the hobby.

http://www.hagerty.com/NewsManager/templates/template3.aspx?
articleid=548&zoneid=6