Re: TSO CD

To: mg-t@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TSO CD
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:05:19 EST
Wayne and others, here is a discussion that was sent to the T-ABC
list.  I haven't received my CD yet...so cannot comment from actual
experience......Terry

This is a note for all of you who ordered the TSO CD.  I received
mineyesterday, Friday, and overall it's a nice product and well worth
the money.I did come up with a few anomalies.  Before I let you in on
what I found, Ishould describe the environment that I'm using.  My
desktop is a Dellmachine running Windows XP with service pack 2.0.  I
use Microsoft InternetExplorer version 6.0.  I also have installed
Norton Personal Firewall andAntiVirus protection.  This is important,
because the product uses both PDFfiles for the individual copies of
the TSO and a web browser as theinterface.  If you do not experience
some of my finding it could be due thesystem (PC/MAC), and/or
operating system you are using.  Also I'm a nut onsecurity and have my
system fairly well locked down.You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0
or above to use the tool.  Don'tpanic, this is a free product and on
the first page it has a link so you candown load it from Adobe.First
it's not like a software product.  You do not install it.  It runsfrom
the CD and will automatically start up when the computer begins to
readthe CD.  You will go through two "informational" pages before
coming to theprimary page.  Once here you can select from either
technical articles or aspecific issue.  There is a search facility;
however it only searches theissue you are currently viewing.  It does
allow you to continue the searchto the next issue and will work
through all issues of the TSO.If you run it from the CD I would
recommend that you make a backup copy ontoanother CD and run from the
backup.  This way if the CD is damaged orscratched you can burn a new
copy from the original.  There are no securityhooks that will not
allow you to copy it.You can run it from your hard drive.  It requires
415MB of storage, not toobad for today machines that come with 40 to
80 gigabytes of storage.  To dothis you simply copy the entire CD to a
new folder on your hard drive.  Tostart the tool, go to the folder
where you copied the CD and click on thefile called "OpenFirst.htm".
For PC users it would be advisable to create ashortcut and place it on
your desktop.  When you start it up you may not beable to move past
the first page by clicking on the "Continue" button.  Ifthis happens
look for a yellow bar just above the page and below theInternet tool
bar.  It should have a message that states "To help protectyour
security, Internet Explorer has restricted this file..".  Click on
theyellow bar and you will get a menu.

 Select the option "Allow BlockedContent.".  You may get a Security
Warning message box, just click the "Yes"option.  You can now click on
"Continue" button to move to the next page.This time you will see a
blank page.  Again move to the Yellow Bar andselect the "Allow Blocked
Content.." option.  Once again the securitymessage may appear, if so
just select "Yes".  Once this happen you are pastall the security
problems and can continue as normal.There is a way to bypass this
problem, but it requires changing a securityoption within Internet
Explorer.  I've requested information on the effectof making this
change and will let you know if it's advisable or not.Oh, one other
thing.  There were times when the main page with the technicaland
issue selection seems to freeze.  That is no matter what I did
toattempt to select an article or issue the system did not respond.  I
foundthat using the old standard fix of just exiting out of the tool
andrestarting it then everything worked fine.I would also like to note
that there is an excellent cross reference to theTSO in the back of
the "The T Type Restoration Handbook" also put out by theNE MG T
Register.  I believe this can be obtained from Brit Books.