Radiator Mount

To: "MG-List" <mg-t@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Radiator Mount
From: "Wayne Francis" <whfrancis@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:11:08 -0800
I'm chagrined at having to ask this question, but it's been so many years
since I dismantled the TD I can't remember the reassembly order on the
radiator mount (and I can't find a good picture and I don't remember the
discussions on this topic).  How do the 4 rubber washers/steel rings go under
the radiator?  My old (petrified) ones are stacked one on the other and, I
think, were both simply under the radiator and sitting on the cross-mount.  It
would make sense to have one rubber washer between the radiator and the
cross-mount, and the other under the cross-mount with the washer and nut
holding it.  However, there would be nothing to hold the lower steel ring on
other than the friction of the the compressed washer.  With this approach the
expanded diameter of the mounting stud would lock more securely into the large
hole in the cross-mount.  Also, with only one washer between the radiator and
cross-mount it seems to align the radiator outlet better with the lower hose.
   With this problem resolved I'm ready to restart the engine and actually
move the car (sans body) under its own power.  Anybody?
Thanks in advance.
Wayne Francis
Ojai, CA