Help Save the Morgan for the USA

To: <mg-t@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Help Save the Morgan for the USA
From: "John Quilter" <jquilter@peoplepc.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:23:35 -0800
I know we are an MG T series group but I have recently read in Automotive News
(January 17, 2004 page 3)  that the Morgan Motor Co, one of the last family
owned  truly British car companies is working to import their new Morgan Aero
8 roadster to the USA.   To do this for the 100 or so cars they plan to import
per year for the next three years they need an exemption from the federal
bumper standards.  This is granted by the National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration.  Morgan has spent over $5.6 million to comply with other
federal standards according to Automotive News.  NHTSA issued a notice seeking
public comment on Morgan's request for a three year exemption.    If you would
like to strike a blow to preserve the presence of another famous old British
marque in the USA, send an e mail to NHTSA urging their approval.  I can't see
why 300 cars that don't meet the detailed and strict US bumper standards are
going to have a dreadful impact on vehicle safety.   Most of these cars will
be treasured collector items driven infrequently and with great care.  Go to
this web site to e mail NHTSA: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/email.cfm or for
letters the mailing address is:
NHTSA Headquarters
400 Seventh Street, SW
Washington, DC 20590

  E Mails are good but letters carry more impact.   Let's try to preserve some
automotive diversity in the USA.

John F. Quilter
Brisbane, California

1951 MGTD, 1960 Morris Minor, 1965 Jaguar 3.8S, 1969 Austin America