TF Spring Identification

To: <mg-t@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TF Spring Identification
From: John Gunnell <gunnellj@krause.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:10:19 -0600
Gentlemen

  Your mission for today, should you chose to accept it, is to answer a
question concerning any ways to positively identify rear leaf springs for a
MG TF.

   As posted earlier, I have had ride problems that I believe to be due to
worn leaf springs. Everything else has been addressed.

   A week or so ago, while poking around eBay, I noticed a set of TF leaf
springs with a $15 starting price and no bids. Amazing as it seems, I was
fortunate enough to buy these for that amazing low price. And the seller,
from Virginia, was wonderful about the entire transaction.

   It seems he had bought these as TD springs about a year ago. He
discovered they are similar to, but not exactly the same as his TD springs.
He found a number ostamped on one spring that seemss to match a number for
TF springs in the Abingdon Spares catalog. So he listed them as TF springs,
but wasn't 100 percent certain. For $15 and parcel post I thought I'd take a
chance.

  The springs arrived Saturday and look quite nice. They will need to be
rebuilt, but I was planning to do that to mine. Now, if these are TF
springs, I can have them rebuilt before I do the swap, so I have less down
time.

  Logically, I should move my car on my lift and try to match the springs
up, but this is Wisconsin in January and it's an ice bowl this year. Moving
the TF from the rear of my car-packed building into the shop is somewhat
difficult, at least until we get a nice January thaw. (Also, who knows if my
car even has the correct springs judging by how it rides).

  So I am trying to determine any way to positively I.D. The springs as a TF
item. Is there are design distinction? Are there measurements? Are there
numbers stamped on them? Do the numbers appear in a certain place?

  They just came Saturday and I haven't had chance to clean them up and
inspect them for stampings.

   In addition, advice and opions on rebuilding the springs would be
helpful.

   This message will self destruct in 15 seconds...

John Gunnell
Iola, WI