Re: rear axle conversion

To: Charlie Baldwin <ewsinc@suscom.net>, mg-t <mg-t@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: rear axle conversion
From: Stu Keen <simbafish@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:13:23 -0500
Morning Charlie;

My 4.3:1 conversion was first done at a workshop sponsored by the MG T
Register South (Atlanta). They had done over 30 by the time I arrived. But
from the first day after the work was completed, I had doubts that the
conversion was done properly since Carl Cederstrand's manual was not even
referenced. The work was done more from past experience and feel. Soon
afterwards, I began to hear a noticeable whining as I decelerated. I was
concerned (but the labor had been free - about $200 for parts)!

Then prior to my solo road trip from Venice, Florida to California  in 2002
- Carl rebuilt my transmission in LA - I changed the differential oil. Found
considerable amount of brass shavings. Turned out the carrier bearings were
be chewed up from improper shimming during assembly. The conversion had to
be done again!

The conversion is not as easy as it sounds. Many tight tolerances that have
to be followed closely. I have since heard of many unsuccessful conversions,
so be CAREFUL whom you select to do the work if your TD is driven
frequently. At the workshop held in a machine shop, with access to mill
machines, hydraulic presses, feeler gauges etc, and about four hours of
labor, the work still did not come out right. Perhaps good enough for
someone that only drives 2000 or less miles a year, but I average over
10,000.

So before my long haul, I decided to have an expert do the job again,
someone I knew and trusted. This was done in St. Petersburg at Glenn's MG
Garage (a true, PRECISE expert). Cost about $750 for labor alone. I had a
trace of brass filings after my 8500 mile trip to the west coast and back,
but nothing since. No whining as before.  (Haven't checked for filings in
about 6 months, maybe I should check now).

I first had the differential converted to 4.3:1. Then later installed a
Datsun B-210 five speed all synchromesh transmission. I think the better way
to go is to forget about the tricky differential conversion and just go for
the transmission change. Before incorporating the two changes, when going
approx 55 mph, the engine was turning over around 4200 (as I recall). But
now when I am traveling at 70 mph, the engine is only turning over around
3750 rpm. Surely less wear and tear on the XPAG. Don't know what the
difference in rpms would be if you only changed the transmission and did not
make the differential conversion.

I was warned that by making both conversions, I would notice a big reduction
in torque. Well, first of all we both live in FLATLAND so no hills to
conquer. But even during my travels to Canada and California, the TD still
performed well. I remember one long, long hill outside Kingsport. I had to
drive in the truck lane as the maximum speed I could maintain was 45 mph.
But that's not a big problem and the joy of motoring with a 5 speed
transmission clearly outweigh any torque issue!.

Stu Keen
1951 MG TD Mark II
Venice, FL