Re: My TD Mods

To: mg-t@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: My TD Mods
From: MGTD2@aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 22:09:08 EST
To the usual Pertronix trigger, 4.3 rear end, and halogen tail lite bulbs,
let me add five that I feel have been worthwhile.

1. When rebuilding my frontend many years ago, I used MGA steering knuckles.
These are cast iron rather than brass and I think will last forever.  They
look identical to TD/TF parts when paitned the correct black.

2. Based on a TSO article many years ago, I transistorized my SU fuel pump.
No more points burning.

3. Based on someone's suggestion from this list, I put a piece of chrome sink
drain tubing into my fuel tank filler hole to keep gas from splashing our
after a fill-up. (Unfortunately, I was a few years too late to save the lacquer
paint job on the tank.

4. I replaced the cooling fan with a yellow plastic MGB fan which made a
tremendous difference in cooling after hot runs on the expressway in July.

5. Behind the dashboard, I mounted a cigar lighter wired "backwards" so the
positive ground system will "look" negative ground to an accessory that is
plugged in.  It has proven useful for a hand-held CB radio in the old days,
cell
phone charger nowdays, cheap-o gooseneck map light, walkman powercord for those
long overnight drives to GOFs, and maybe sometime in the future, to power an
electric fleece jacket liner (a piece of motorcycling and snowmobiling garb
I've started to fantasize about after getting addicted to my electric mastress
pad at home!)  Guess I'm getting to be an old guy.  The chicks notice the car
but never seem to see me!

Merry Christmas, by the way!

John Deikis
Chelsea, MI