RE: TF, replacement door locks

To: <mg-t@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TF, replacement door locks
From: "Larry Shoer" <Larry.Shoer@backlottech.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 20:06:22 -0500
Terry,
I experienced the same thing with replacement parts I installed.  Upon
careful inspection I determined that that there was some excess material on
some of the parts.  With the chrome cover off the door mounted latch
assembly I could see that the pin (on the door assembly) only barely caught
the wedge (the part that mounts to the latch pillar).  This was the case
with three new wedges I had (of unknown origin).  I found some flash on the
door mounted latch assembly which prevented the wedge from fully seating.
The flash (and perhaps a little more) was removed with a file.
The pin (on the door assembly) that engages the wedge was partly worn.  I
reshaped the pin with a file, moving the "highest point" a little in from
one side, to aid in catching the wedge.  (This may require more explanation
or a picture.)
I found the best way to get everything lined up properly was to mount ALL of
the latch mechanism components onto the door, including the parts that
attach to the latch pillar.  This should be done with the door closed.
After doing this you will have a clear indication of where the bracket
should be attached to the latch pillar and any shimming that is needed (on
the door mounted assembly or the latch pillar).
This apparently simple mechanism was hugely frustrating to get right.  I
worked on it on and off for about five years before I finally got it right.
Good luck,
Larry