RE: TD Slowdown

To: "'Bob Howard'" <mgbob@juno.com>, <simoncorben@adelphia.net>
Subject: RE: TD Slowdown
From: "Charley Robinson" <charleyrob@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:00:03 -0400
Simon,
The burning brake smell would make me want to check that first and, as Bob
suggested, I think you would have heard the bearings if that was the
problem. You might want to check your rubber brakes lines. If they are old,
that could be the problem. A friend had a similar problem on his Austin
Healey. The outside of the lines looked fine, but over the years, the inside
had deteriorated to the point that they had actually collapsed. Pressure on
the pedal was enough to force fluid into the wheel cylinders to apply the
brakes, but the return spring pressure wasn't sufficient enough to release
the brakes causing his brakes to lock up. The problem didn't show up until
he had driven a few miles.

Charley Robinson