Re: TC hand cranking engine technique

To: timnewton@menziesgroup.com.au
Subject: Re: TC hand cranking engine technique
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 14:23:07 -0400
Tim,
   Those older and more experienced in the use of the starting handle
taught me 1) keep thumb on same side of handle as fingers, 2) never let
your arm be straight at the elbow, 3) pull up on the handle; never push
down.
   The crankshaft nut on my TD is cupped to fit the pin on the starting
handle, and the "back" side is sloped so that it will push the handle out
and away from the engine when engine is running.   Moss may have the nuts
if yours is too worn to work properly.  Use the washer--it helps to align
the handle with the throws of the crankshaft.
Bob

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 16:26:38 +1000 "tnewton"
<timnewton@menziesgroup.com.au> writes:
> Hi to the list
> a question that's more academic than for practical application. How
> do you hold the hand crank, without claiming medical expenses for
broken