Re: TD gear change

To: vainent@nfdc.net
Subject: Re: TD gear change
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 08:48:35 -0400
Gary,
   Stock TD rear gearing was 5.125 running on Dunlop 5.50x15 tires.
Today's tires that properly fit the TD's narrow wheels, both radial and
bias-ply, have smaller circumference. That makes the revs per mile
increase, and they were quite high to begin with.
  Using MGA gears in the rear axle is a way to reduce the revs/mile and
to increase cruising speed.  Most who have made this change use 4.3
gears; some 4.1, some 4.55.   There are a few who have actually swapped
the entire axle for MGA axle, though that is not something that I would
advocate, since there are external modifications that are necessary.
  An alternative to gear swapping is fitting a five-speed gearbox.  There
are two types available that I know of, a Datsun 210 box (getting hard to
find these days) and a Ford Sierra box. Those who have them seem to like
them; I have not heard of anyone returning to the TD gearbox.
  A booklet by Carl Cedarstrand, available from Moss, discusses gear
exchanges comprehensively. It's interesting and informative.
Bob