Re: Stuck in the '50s Again

To: gunnellj@krause.com, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stuck in the '50s Again
From: "Mike Eldred" <redscirocco@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 15:07:25 -0400
John,
The starter switches aren't indestructable.  My car is on its second one.
It's not clear from your email how you tested the switch, and I'm not
immediately familiar with the TD switch setup.
  If you used a continuity tester with a lead on each terminal, you should
get no reading when the switch is in the normal position, and you should get
a reading (or a light) when you pull the starter button.
If you used a regular test light, you should get a constant light on one
terminal, and a light on the other terminal only when the switch is pulled.
Another way to test the switch is to cross the two terminals, if you do and
the starter actuates, you'll know the switch is bad.  If it doesn't, you'll
know the problem is elsewhere.
At any rate, the starter should work regardless of the polarity change.
BTW, did you know if you push in the little pin between the two terminals
you can activate the starter switch from the engine compartment?  Very
handy, but make sure it's in neutral!

Regarding the other wiring gremlins: First let me express my shock that any
British car would have electrical problems!  ;-D  But seriously, it's
typical, at least in my experience.  (Well, with a couple MGs and a '60
Jaguar under my belt, anyway.)
It's just a matter of spending hours with a multimeter checking for proper
grounds, improper grounds, and finding all the screwy things the previous
owner did.  Be suspicious of everything that's wrapped in electrical tape.
Carefully check every place the wiring goes through a body panel - that's
often the location of a worn wire that's grounding out.
Luckily, the wiring on our cars is fairly simple.  I would make a photo copy
of the wiring diagram and mark my progress on it.  Highlight the wires that
you have checked and that test OK.  Eventually, you'll narrow it down and
you'll fix it.  I have every confidence in that.
I'd be willing to bet the last mechanic that worked on the wiring was in a
hurry to get it over with.  Mechanics that enjoy ferreting out electrical
problems are rare.

And the horns:  Maybe I could shoot you a digital picture of where mine are.
  I'll try to take a few pics tonight.

-Mike Eldred
'54 TF