Re: Windshield

To: gunnellj@krause.com
Subject: Re: Windshield
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 14:12:37 -0400
John,
   The TD's windshield assembly makes sense when you see all the pieces
laid out flat and in position.  There is a corner bracket piece in each
corner, but you can't see what you have in there until it's all apart.
   The wire to the wiper can be cut off behind the dash, if that's not
already been done by someone, or you can trace it back completely and
disconnect it.  Two grub screws hold the wire to the wiper motor.  I
would not remove the wire from the windshield frame at this point, or
unless you find it deteriorated (or the wrong wire).
   Then you undo the wing nuts, the two fixing nuts, and lift off the
windshield.  Wiper motor is held on by two bolts, but I don't recall that
you need to remove the motor or the wiper pivots to remove and replace
the glass.
   I am not aware of any tips or tricks needed for reassembly, except for
the usual care that the screws not be too long and grind into the glass.
    I enjoyed your article in TSO, and look forward to your next one.
Bob