Transmissions

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Transmissions
From: Stu Keen <simbafish@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 08:49:57 -0400
Got a question for those with years of experience with garage mechanic,
mechanist etc., I definitely do not have any such background.

Several years ago I replaced the worn out TD transmission with a Datsun B210
5 speed all synchromesh transmission. This was found in some junk yard,
cleaned and new bearings installed prior to my purchase. However, no one
knows its past history.

Last September in my solo drive Ocean to Ocean I had transmission problems
in LA. Fortunately I was near Carl Cederstrand who is truly an expert on TDs
and helped me immensely.

The shaft of the cluster (or lay) gear fatigued at the end where it resides
in a cup roller bearing. It spalled metal into the bearing which destroyed
it. A new lay gear from Nissan turned out to be .049 inches too large in
diameter for the second gear so could not be used. The gears and the shaft
are machined as ONE PIECE.

To get back on the road in LA, the old lay gear was taken to a machine shop.
On a lathe they cut down the last one inch of the fatigued end of the shaft
by .015 inches and then shrunk on a hardened sleeve  (about .015 inches
thick) to bring the shaft back to the original diameter. Carl and I put a
new cup roller bearing in the housing and then reassembled. I have now put
on approx 4,000 miles on the retrofit with no indication of any wear or
other problems.

My question (and concern) is: How reliable is a hardened sleeve? Some have
told me that it will last FOREVER, but these people do not necessarily have
mechanical or mechanist background. Since the thrust/force on the
transmission is bearing down on this lay shaft and bearing, what kind of
longevity can I expect from a .015 inch thick hardened sleeve (purchased
from a machinist warehouse for just such application)?

If no experience in this area, I would appreciate an educated guess.

Stu Keen
1951 MG TD MkII