Regulator Setting

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Regulator Setting
From: Stu Keen <simbafish@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 17:16:02 -0500
I am apparently boiling battery acid when on long trips (just completed a
8,543 mile jaunt across America). There was battery acid corrosion on the
firewall in vicinity of the battery. I know the acid level was not
excessively high so it did not slosh out accidentally.

My regulator (control box) is set according to the workshop manual,
paragraph N.12. The electrical setting (flicker of the VOM) occurs at 15.9
volts. The cut out occurs at 13.8 volts, a little higher than the 12.7-13.3
specified.

However, I have heard that modern batteries have lower resistance than those
fifty years ago and that the electrical setting should be 13.8-14.4 volts.

Is this correct? What should the electrical setting and the cut-out
adjustments be set to?

Thanks

Stu Keen
51 MGTD MkII