Water Pump Repair Continued

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Water Pump Repair Continued
From: Nels Anderson <nels@flightsim.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:46:25 -0400
Thanks to all who answered my previous question on my first MGTD repair
job. I now have seemingly half my car apart and the water pump is
actually out.

Now I run into some confusion on putting the new one in. I bought the
complete Moss Motors pump. In response to my previous question several
people mentioned the need to take care in installing the felt seal
between the pulley and the pump. I see the felt seal in the MG shop
manual, however no felt seal was included with the Moss pump, nor do I
see one in their illustrations nor do they seem to have one in their
catalog. I notice also that the Moss pump does not have the grease
fitting, presumably because the newer bearings don't need greasing as
the 50 year old original ones did. So, is that also the case with the
felt seal...it's simply not used on the new design pump?