Re: Purchase Inspection Help Needed

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Purchase Inspection Help Needed
From: "Dave & Diana Dwyer" <dmdwyer@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:10:24 +1000
Nels

I wouldn't say that T-types (or indeed most other cars) are "potentially
such trouble". However the fact that you asked the questions of the list
indicates that you realise #model specific# experience is an advantage for
checking a car.

I agree with the previous comments that smoke could indicate possible ring
wear (or breakage, if there's a lot), and there is no inherent reason for
the brakes to pull to one side. A possibility here is that the drums were
skimmmed to an oversize (possibly several different oversizes - you say
#one# drum was replaced), but only standard thickness lining fitted: as a
result the drum and lining radii don't match and with only limited mileage
nothing is bedded in and the braking is reduced and uneven.

If someone local who knows TDs can check the car with you it will help (I'm
a bit too far away in Australia!). Nothing is impossible to fix, and once
you have a good feel for the real condition you can decide how much you want
the car and use the defects as bargaining points.

Regards

Dave Dwyer
J2, TA, TC