Wire Wheels

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wire Wheels
From: Stu Keen <simbafish@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 09:46:30 -0400
Last April at the All British Car and Cycle Show in Winter Park (Orlando),
FL, I saw the most stunning TD. In fact, only able to see the nose (bonnet)
from a distance, I thought it was a Bently or RR. It was a cream (ivory) TD
with chrome wire wheels and wide white side walls. Definitely the most
impressive TD I had ever seen and of course it got First Place.

My mentor, a Brit, says putting white walls on a British car is only an
American idea. Furthermore, wire wheels were not even an option for the TD
from the factory. Nevertheless, I am considering the conversion (once my
horse comes in). Recent discussions on the net between 48 and 60 spoke wire
wheels has resparked my interest. Now the question.

Moss sells the complete conversion package, chrome/stainless steel kit for
$3195. The people at Hendrix Wire Wheel just this morning steered me to
British Wire Wheel. They have a direct bolt on wire wheel set for $1250 made
by Dayton. According to the literature, direct bolt wire wheels attach to
the hub in the same manner as the original wheels for simplified
installation and removal. All direct-bolt wheels come with lugnuts, center
caps, and a lug wrench. Knock-off wire wheels slide onto a
precision-machined drive adapter attached to your vehicle's hub. The wheel
is then secured to the drive adapter with a knock-off cap.

The direct bolt on system is about a third of the cost and therefore got my
interest. However, there must be a disadvantage. Has anyone had experience
with the direct bolt on's? What are the pros and cons? What are the
advantages of making the full conversion, with new brake drums etc?

Thanks

Stu Keen

1951 MGTD MkII