Pertronix Ignitor in TD Report

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pertronix Ignitor in TD Report
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 23:55:28 -0500
Just took the TD for a spin with the new Ignitor. The car is running
smoother with more oomph above 4000 rpm. This is exactly what I experienced
with the MGB. I don't know what, but the Ignitor is doing something better
than points. (Maybe a more consistent spark, maybe a hotter spark, maybe
both.) Even if the Ignitor had no performance advantage, it's worth it just
to eliminate the hassle of points (replacement, timing and dwell adjustment,
that damn condenser).

The initial timing, after installing the unit, was way too advanced. I
experienced the same thing with my MGB. As several advised, I found it
possible to adjust the timing statically with a lamp. (I suggest a small low
current lamp.) I tweaked the timing later dynamically.

My distributor is a DKY4A 40162E. The "E" is supposed to indicate a high
lift cam. I also have the TD converted to negative ground. This combination
called for the LU-146 model, which evidently was correct.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB - NAMGBR #7-3336