Re: TD Carb Question, and Replying to All of the List...

To: <MG-T@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TD Carb Question, and Replying to All of the List...
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 10:38:53 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Bullwinkle wrote:

> <<<snip>>>
> Those autox.team folks who administer the list mechanism have (to
> the regret of many) have set it up so that the Reply button addresses a
> reply only to the sender,
> <<<snip>>>
>
> I believe the functioning of the "reply" and "reply to all" buttons is
> built into the mailer you're using and has nothing to do with major
> domo.

In most mail programs, if the message has a "Reply-to:" address, then
hitting Reply will automatically reply to that address even if it isn't
the actual sender's address.  In most mailing list management software
(including Majordomo) there is the option to set a "Reply-to:" address
which in the case of the MG-T list would be "mg-t@autox.team.net".  If
that "Reply-to:" address was added by Majordomo to every MG-T message,
then most mail programs would automatically reply to the whole list rather
than only to the original sender.

Whether or not a "Reply-to:" header is appropriate is hotly debated among
people who manage mailing lists.  All the mailing lists I manage (using
Majordomo) have "Reply-to:" headers addeed.  I want replies to go to the
whole list by default, because my feeling is that mailing lists (at least
the ones I run) are meant to foster group communication, not personal
communication.  Some mailing list administrators (apparently including
Mark) feel for a variety of reasons that use of a "Reply-to:" header is
inappropriate.

--
Chip Old               1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  XPAG7430  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland     1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO  CT3479E