RE: Moss Oil Cartridge

To: <ddubois@sinclair.net>, "Bill Loubiere" <loubiere@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: Moss Oil Cartridge
From: "Robert Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 16:57:46 -0300
Hi Dave and Bill,
The question of which rubber oil filter gasket to use in the late TD/TF oil
pump filter requires a bit more detail. I have no idea which gasket Moss
supplies or how thick/thin they are.  However I have checked gasket
thicknesses ( measured across the diameter ) as  supplied with both a
UAP/NAPA 51300 filter and Fram CH814PL filter. Three gaskets are supplied
from each supplier, the thin one is is 0.68" wide, the medium one is 0.088"
and the thick one is 0.119". Now the slot/groove where the gasket fits in
the oil pump measures 0.095" wide ( all measurements may not be exact to the
nearest thou  but are close enough ).
So the correct gasket to use is the 0.088", or in the case of these two
suppliers the medium one. The gasket must be seated and fit completely in
the pump groove .Oil the gasket and carefully work it around into the groove
till it is fully seated. Not the easiest job on the car!
The thin gasket is easier to fit in the groove but the oil cannister may not
trap it fully and so a leak can occur.
The thick gasket will not enter the groove and hence may not seal properly.
In any case, never use more than  one gasket.
These gaskets age, harden and become brittle. Although not necessary to
replace the gasket with each filter change, it is a good idea to change then
if they become hard and brittle.
Use of an adapter to accept a modern spin-on filter means you do not disturb
the gasket each time you replace the filter. Also a spin-on costs less money
than the cartridge and is easier to change.
Trust this is of use.
Regards, Bob

Bill,
    Use the narrower of the two gaskets ONLY.  I speak from bitter
experience.  I thought that the wider of the two gaskets should be
used.  As a result, it didn't fit easily inside the grove (which is hard
to tell that the gasket is not all the way in due to it's orientation)
and resulted in my loosing all the oil and hammering a rod bearing.
This in and of itself was bad enough, but I had to add insult to injury
and have it happen on the Tacoma Narrows bridge, backing up traffic for
about ten miles (even got on TV).  I have since put the narrow gasket in
and left it there.  The same gasket has held through 15 to 20 oil
changes and has not leaked at all.  When it starts leaking, I'll change
it again.

Good luck,
Dave