Re: Installing Flywheel

To: "Bill Loubiere" <loubiere@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Installing Flywheel
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 21:16:53 -0700
Since you refer to an inability to put the flywheel on with the pan in
place, you must be talking about an XPAG or XPEG engine. That being the
case, the dowels to which you refer are tapered; they cannot be put into the
crankshaft flange before the flywheel goes on, as they are (or should be)
too fat to pass through the flywheel dowel holes. The procedure is to put
the flywheel on the crank, snug the bolts up to seat the flywheel squarely
on the flange, then slacken them a tad, insert the dowels and start them
home, then tighten the bolts, then smack the dowels all the way home.
Lastly, you safety-wire the bolts.

At least, that's the way I've always done it and I've never had a flywheel
come off yet! (Despite revving my XPAG race motor to 8,000 r.p.m.
consistently - until a rod broke, that is!)

Cheers,

Lawrie