RE: 52 Transmission Rear Seal

To: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>,
Subject: RE: 52 Transmission Rear Seal
From: "Robert Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 22:26:36 -0300
Hi Lawrie,
Sorry, First you need to install the seal in the housing groove with
screwdrivers or whatever as you described. Then use the tapered drift to
enlarge the seal ID instead of trying to use screwdrivers to work the seal
around the socket.
I made a tapered drift out of a wood screwdriver handle and machined a
spigot on the inside fat end to accept the socket ID so the socket OD lines
up exactly with the tapered drift fat end OD. The socket easily pushes the
tapered drift through using a long extension..
Hard to explain clearly.
Bob

I understand how the tapered drift gradually widens the I.D. of the seal,
Bob, but do not follow how it compresses the (usually)
too-fat-for-the-groove seal. That's what the screwdrivers do, is push the
edges of the seal into the groove. Am I missing something?

>An even easier way is to use a tapered drift with the OD same size as the
>housing ID,  wood or metal. Install the seal in the houising and then force
>the drift  through the seal from the inside of the housing. This will force
>the seal into position and enlarge the ID to accept the flange spigot.
Then