Re: Rod Pinch bolts

To: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Subject: Re: Rod Pinch bolts
From: "John T. Seim" <kingseim@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:12:33 -0700
Bullwinkle wrote:

> The pinch bolt used on the wrist pin end of the rod is definately
> a weak link in the XPAG and 15G B series engines.
>
> Why wouldn't you get a more durable system by eliminating the
> lock washer, subsituting a hardened steel washer of the same
> thickness, and using loctite on the threads?

Go one step further, and use an allen head cap screw, instead of the hex
head cap screw. Phil Marino just ordered a box of 100 of these, from
Germany. I know that he will have a few left over, unless Carl
Cederstrand buys them, because the Germans make such good things. As to
the use of a hardened steel washer and loctite, sure. Loctite eliminates
the need for the lock washer.
John Seim