Re: [mg-tabc] Ouch!! need a head!

To: MG-TABC <mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com>, MG-T <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Ouch!! need a head!
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 01:09:21 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Andrew Bradley wrote to MG-TABC and MG-T:

> Anyone out there have a lead on a head for a TDmkII?  All that means
> is it has the later round water ports...  BIG crack.  Expensive fix.
> Rather start off fresh.

A TD Mark II head doesn't necessarily have round water holes.  The "round
hole" head replaced the "banana hole" head midway through TD production.
I don't have the exact engine number handy, but someone else on list will
probably have it.  The change affected both the TD Mark II and the
standard TD.

The difference between the standard TD head and the Mark II TD head,
regardless of water hole shape, is in the compression ratio and the valve
sizes.

Are you perhaps going by the engine number prefix, which is possibly
"XPAG/TD2"?  That doesn't indicate a TD Mark II engine.  It indicates that
the block was designed to accept an 8" clutch instead of the 7.25" clutch
used on earlier TDs.  TD Mark II engines designed to use the 8" clutch
usually have the engine number prefix "XPAG/TD3".  Early TD and TD Mark II
engines with the 7.25" clutch are "XPAG/TD".

--
Chip Old               1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  XPAG7430  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland     1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO  CT3479E