RE: Location of Flasher Unit on late TDs

To: "'Wiedemeyer'" <boxweed@thebest.net>, BobMGT@aol.com
Subject: RE: Location of Flasher Unit on late TDs
From: "Hermance, Jonathan" <Jonathan_Hermance@ATK.COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 09:22:50 -0600
Bob,

I am a few days late in responding because I kept forgetting to look at my
car when I got home.  I acquired a 53ish TD I believe to be relatively
untouched last year.  I am cleaning it up to use pretty much as is.  I have
the large cardboard shield under the dash factory-notched for the direction
light switch.  Said switch is mounted on a small metal bracket at the front
center underside of my dash.  A small cloth-wrapped wire-loom goes from the
switch to the relay centered  high on the cockpit side of the toolbox.
Another small cloth-wrapped wire-loom goes from the relay through a grommet
in the scuttle to the right (when sitting in the cockpit) of the battery box
near where the starter motor switch coax cable and choke cable penetrate the
scuttle.  My aluminum cylinder-shaped flasher unit has a tab off the end
opposite the electrical poles that mounts to the uppermost of two bolts
holding the right hand horn to it's bracket.  The wires and electrical
connector poles on the flasher unit are facing upward.  I may not be
remembering correctly, but I think the head of the bolt holding the horn is
outboard of the bracket to the scuttle and the nut and lock and flat washers
holding the horn to the bracket and the flasher unit to the horn are
inboard.  On my TF-1250 US market, the direction light switch and flasher
unit are on the left side of the car when sitting in the cockpit.  The
flasher unit is mounted in a springy thing sheetmetal-screwed to the left
end of the toolbox - I doubt that installation is original.

Jon