RE: The Sacred Cow-Concours

To: "David Tinker" <david.tinker@virgin.net>
Subject: RE: The Sacred Cow-Concours
From: "Bob Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 20:20:25 -0500
Hi David,
I too have been looking for the elusive YL5 paint code for my 1949 MG TC.
The colour for the TC is Sequoia Cream  ( later Ivory ?).
I found a match by giving various manufacturers codes for the YL5 colour to
my local paint supplier. They confirmed that the PPG/Ditzler code 81271 was
a valid code but now cross referenced to an  81444. code number.  This is a
GM code 925, named Bamboo Cream. I got a small sample mixed and sprayed it
on a sheet of metal and it looks good. Light cream colour, almost an
off-white/ivory. I compared it to an original TC paint sample from my TC
and it looks very close, although the original sample, being 52 years old,
is darker. The colour also matches the Cream/Ivory piping I bought from Moss
many years ago.
So, I think I will try a larger panel professionally sprayed and see if I
like it. So far, it looks good.
A good source for obsolete paint codes is Tower Paint, web address
www.towerpaint.com. They also identified theYL5 equivalent  Dupont code
83449 as a valid code number and said they could supply the paint. However
they are in the USA and paints are a hazardous chemical so not easily
shipped over the border to Canada.
What colour is YL1? Are there any modern colour codes for YL1?
Bob Grunau
Canada

Hi everybody,
I am going to paint my TF in its original colour-ivory. However it is
increasingly difficult if not impossible to get paint mixed to an original
formula BMC YL5.( unless you know better !).

On fairly good authority I have been told that the nearest I can get to the
original colour and get it mixed to a currently available formula is YL1.

Consider this hypothetical question. When my TF is in the final 6 entries of
a National Concours Competition ( highly unlikely even if I would enter it )
who is going to tell me that the colour is the wrong shade of Ivory?.

Regards
David Tinker. Wales UK
51MGTD
54MGTF under restoration