Re: TD Thermostat Question

To: BobMGT@aol.com
Subject: Re: TD Thermostat Question
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 08:55:39 -0500
Bob,
  Sounds to me as though the 'stat is working OK.
  The OEM stat opens around 60C(140F)  Once it's open, if cycling
properly, the max temp of the engine is established by the radiator's
dissipation of the heat made by the engine.  In other words, the 'stat
sets the minimum engine operating temp and the radiator does the heat
transfer above the stat's opening point to keep the coolant temp within
design specs. Additional cooling is done by air passing over the engine.
  During the warm seasons, my MkII's stat opens at 60C (140F) as
evidenced by the quick ascent of the temp needle from its park position
at 30C. WIthin a few minutes, the needle stabilises at 70C(158F). Further
run time will bring it up to almost 80C(176F), and brisk driving will
raise it to85-88C.  The book says that operating temps should be in the
80-90C (176-194F) range.
  I am pleasantly surprised that you see 160F(72C) on cold winter days.
During winter, I find it necessary to block off between 1/3 and 1/2 the
radiator with a piece of cardboard in order to get the temp to 70C.  This
is what we see done more elegantly by the Class 8 diesel tractors during
the winter. They pull very little air through their radiators and achieve
most of their cooling by the swirl of air through the engine space.
  This low 'stat opening temp may be related to the use of alcohol
antifreezes in the 1950s.  Note in the handbook the reference made to
Blucol (sp?) etylene glycol antifreeze, as if it were something new and
improved. The low 'stat opening temp would reduce the evaporation of the
alcohol.
Bob