Re: Wire Feeler Gauge

To: MG T Digest <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wire Feeler Gauge
From: Charles Hill <candahill@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:39:11 -0600
I would suggest that if your valve gear is worn so much that a flat feeler guage
does not give an accurate reading, you have more serious problems to deal with.
Additionally, if there is any cupping of the rocker arms, a wire feeler guage
will not be any more accurate than a flat blade feeler guage.  I remember seeing
in the past an advertisement for a device for measuring valve clearance with a
dial indicator.  I would suggest this approach for only the most obsessive - or
racers looking for that one more hp.

If a flat feeler guage did give an inaccurate reading,  it would be on the loose
side which would possibly result in more valve noise or slightly reduced
performance.  The real problems come from too tight clearance - burnt valves is
one possibility.

Regards,
Charles Hill