Drive Shaft

To: MG T Digest <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Drive Shaft
From: Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 19:23:01 -0500
Some time ago when my TD transmission needed an expensive major
overhaul, I chose to install a Datsun B210 transmisison from Skyhook
Engineering. Along with the conversion kit came a new drive shaft made
by Spicer.

In order to grease the U-joints of the drive shaft, I changed the needle
fitting at each end on the U-Joint with grease nipples. Greasing there
does not now seem to be a problem.

My concern is how to grease the internal slider. I am not sure there is
a slider, but assume there has to be one to allow flex. But there are no
external fittings for the slider as there were on the original TD drive
shaft (which had an external slider).

Spicer representative say, "If you have an inboard slip (a slip joint
within the drive shaft as vs an external slip that slides into the
transmission) you need to completely purge from both ends of the slip
yoke."  Does anyone on the net know if there is an internal slip joint
in the Spicer drive shafts supplied by Skyhook Engineer in the
conversion kit for TDs and how it is greased?

Stu Keen
Venice, FL

51 MGTD MkII