Ring and Pinon Gear Setting

To: MG T Digest <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ring and Pinon Gear Setting
From: Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:20:08 -0400
At a MG workshop last February, I and others changed the ring and pinion
gear from the standard 5.125:1 to 4.3:1, the latter coming out of a MGA.
I have been told that my setting for preload is off a bit, but not to
worry since the TD is a light car and there should be no wear. However,
I AM concerned. When I let off of the accelerator, there is a slight
howl, whine, or whatever. I was told to get a radio if the noise
bothered me.

I have just measure the free play in the rear wheel. With the emergency
brake off, the rear raised and transmission put in first gear and then
putting a straight wire through the castle nut, three times I measured
the free play to be 4 degrees. Is this excessive? What is standard? My
concern IS that maybe the ring and pinion are wearing. Does anyone out
there have an idea how much free play there should be in the rear
differential or what is acceptable?

Thanks for any data or recommendations.

Stu Keen
Venice, FL